khulumani-header-transparentkhulumani-color-logo-transparent

  • Written by  Michelle Jones, Cape Times, www.iol.co.za
  • Published in In the News
  • Read 711 times

Tutu thanks victim for forgiving bombers

Speaking at the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation award ceremony in Cape Town yesterday, Tutu, who is patron of the institute, thanked the recipient of the Reconciliation Award, Olga Macingwane, for what she had done.

SOUTH Africa should be doing far more for justice and reconciliation for all of its people, said Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu.

Speaking at the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation award ceremony in Cape Town yesterday, Tutu, who is patron of the institute, thanked the recipient of the Reconciliation Award, Olga Macingwane, for what she had done.

Macingwane, one of the victims of the 1996 bomb blast in Worcester, was recognised for her continued commitment to community reconciliation.

On Christmas Eve in 1996, two bombs exploded in Worcester killing four people, two of them nine-year-old children, and injuring 67 others. One bomb went off outside a supermarket and another at a nearby pharmacy.

Macingwane, 53, suffered injuries from which she still limps today. But she has forgiven the bombers, including Daniel Stephanus “Stefaans” Coetzee, who she has visited at a Pretoria prison.

“You know South Africa really is a fantastic country. When you think of Mrs Macingwane, she ought to be angry,” said Tutu.

The Reconciliation Award has previously been presented to Judge Albie Sachs, Brigalia Bam, Tim Modise and the community of Masiphumelele.

Three young people, Andisiwe Tsobo, Bertus van Schoor and Linda Velapi won awards in the IJR Youth Reconciliation Arts Competition.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The President’s Fund: Where's the money for Apartheid victims actually going? Daily Maverick Article

  • The President’s Fund: Where is the money for Apartheid victims actually going? - Daily Maverick Article

    There’s R1.19 billion sitting in the President’s Fund, designated by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to help victims of Apartheid rebuild their shattered lives. Now the department of justice finally wants to spend it, but who will actually benefit? Its intended beneficiaries say they are still being left out of the process, and that the money is being misused. SIMON ALLISON investigates.

    Read more...

Follow us on Facebook

@KhulumaniAfrica

Khulumani (KSG)
Mon Oct 20 16:38:02 +0000 2014

There's still time to sign and share the petition to save the Apartheid Victims' Compensation Fund!!... http://t.co/SJJJlmEpnc
Khulumani (KSG)
Mon Oct 20 07:50:06 +0000 2014

Media Statement: MARKING 27 YEARS OF STRUGGLE: SASOL 1 & NATREF Ex-Workers to picket SASOL 1 offices, Sasolburg... http://t.co/LqCXaq4VBg
Khulumani (KSG)
Fri Oct 17 08:00:02 +0000 2014

"Community reparation must restore people, not infrastructure; it must engage unrepaired victims directly and not... http://t.co/NYbSu3oXBe
Khulumani (KSG)
Fri Oct 17 06:58:18 +0000 2014

#Community #reparation must restore people not infrastructure. #SouthAfrica #TRC @DOJCD_ZA @702JohnRobbie