khulumani-header-transparentkhulumani-color-logo-transparent

  • Written by  Ilse de Lange, The Citizen
  • Published in In the News
  • Read 377 times

Elderly ex-cop gets his dues, 27 years after Swaneville massacre Featured

The rock at the heritage site in Swaneville, where the victims’ families gather every year for prayer in remembrance of those who were killed in the massacre of 1991. The rock at the heritage site in Swaneville, where the victims’ families gather every year for prayer in remembrance of those who were killed in the massacre of 1991.

Residents of Swaneville on the East Rand have been campaigning for years for official recognition of the May 12, 1991 massacre, in which dozens of ANC supporters were killed or maimed after an attack on their village by members of the Inkatha Freedom Party. Now an elderly former police sergeant who developed post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after attending the gruesome scene of the Swaneville massacre 27 years ago has finally won his long battle for compensation.

Acting Judge JP Vorster granted an order in the High Court in Pretoria giving the compensation commissioner and labour director-general until the middle of this month to publish a written award of compensation in favour of Malisela Setumo, 77, of Kagiso near Krugersdorp.

The judge ruled that Setumo was entitled to be compensated for a 100% permanent disability, post-dated to September 1993, when he was medically boarded from the police.

His compensation must be paid in the form of a monthly pension dating back to June 1991 and he must, in addition, receive interest on the amount at a rate of 10.5% per annum dating back 27 years. 

The court ruling will enable the South African Police Service (Saps), as Setumo’s former employer, to pay him the compensation, which it was previously unable to do as the compensation commissioner had failed to publish a written award.  

Setumo said in an affidavit his exposure to extreme traumatic events, including the Swaneville massacre in May 1991, resulted in the onset of post-traumatic stress disorder which eventually led to his discharge in September 1993. 

He said although he had reported the incident to his employer in 1991, Saps only reported the occupational injury to the compensation commissioner in 2010. 

According to Setumo, his condition was so debilitating that could not thrive in any employment and several times lost jobs.

Source: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/1911560/elderly-ex-cop-gets-his-dues-27-years-after-swaneville-massacre/amp/

Subscribe to our newsletter

 

Find us on Twitter @KhulumaniAfrica

Khulumani (KSG)
Sun Oct 14 12:25:38 +0000 2018

Statement from the Ahmed Timol Family Trust TIMOL MURDER: RODERIGUES BACK IN COURT Former apartheid era securit… https://t.co/9zsKsnBYnC
Khulumani (KSG)
Tue Oct 09 10:11:18 +0000 2018

The Enver Michael Samuel film, Someone to Blame: The Ahmed Timol Inquest - A 46 Year Wait for the Truth, is to be s… https://t.co/CqCOYqLHEP
Khulumani (KSG)
Sun Oct 07 17:58:20 +0000 2018

Today Khulumani associate Shahid Cassiem treated 38 senior citizens in Cape Town with some assistance from friends… https://t.co/IERwAQqgoF
Khulumani (KSG)
Tue Oct 02 04:39:46 +0000 2018

REMEMBERING THE DEVASTATION OF THE LIVES AND LIVELIHOODS OF SASOL WORKERS IN 1987: On 1 October 1987 2,400 SASOL wo… https://t.co/VIFgqnNVVN

Follow us on Facebook